Thanks to our friends at Whole30 for this easy, healthy, and delicious mid-week dinner. If you start it in the morning in the slow cooker, it will be ready and waiting for dinner. Be sure to look for Whole30-compatible tomato products that don’t have any added sugars.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) Whole30-compatible tomato puree
- 1 can (15 ounces) Whole30-compatible crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups Whole30-compatible tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt or regular salt
- Finely chopped red onion (optional for garnish)
In a large skillet, cook the beef over medium-high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes.
Drain off the fat.
Transfer the beef to a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add the onion, poblano pepper, sweet potatoes, tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, vinegar, chile powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, allspice, cayenne, and salt to the cooker.
Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. If desired, top servings with chopped onions.